So, Valentines Day.
This can either be a really exciting day that people have been looking forward to for a while….or it can be a day that people dread and can’t wait till it is over.
In a relationship vs. single.
Going out on a romantic date vs. sitting at home, eating moose track ice cream, snuggling with your dog, watching a chick flick movie and wishing that was your life (I might or might not be guilty of that last one ;)).
But guess what, that does NOT have to be you! After many valentines days that have been spent in self pity, I eventually realized that I was being dumb. Just because I don’t have a boyfriend doesn’t mean that I don’t have people that love me.
Needless to say, there are lots of ways to celebrate this day even if you are not in a relationship. Here are some things that you can do on Valentines day so that you are not…well… sitting on a couch telling the moose track ice cream how much you love it…
1. Celebrate with your friends! Most likely not all of your friends will be in a relationship so find those who are not and plan something fun to do! This Valentines Day my friends and I are going out, having dinner, and then seeing a movie.
This can be a time to celebrate your friendships and how lucky you are to be able to go out and enjoy laughter, good food, and great friends. There are so many things that you can do with your friends on this day. If you don’t have school or work then plan an adventure and experience something new and exciting.
2. Celebrate with family. I have a great family who loves tradition and doing silly/ great things for holidays. Ever since I was little my mom would dye all the food (milk, pancake batter, ect) pink on Valentines day. I know, sounds kinda silly but hey, its tradition! She would make heart shaped pancakes for breakfast and heart shaped meatloaf for dinner.
But even though your family probably does not make heart shaped meatloaf, they still love you very much. So, if your single and your friends are all busy then go home to your family and tell them how much you love them. A simple gesture of being there on valentines day can mean a lot to your family. Tell them how much they mean to you❤
3. Have an arts and craft day! I don’t know about you, but I love making things (even though most of the time they look like something a first grader might make…). But be productive, actually MAKE one of those DYI things that you have been pinning on Pinterest. It’s amazing the cool things that you can come up with when searching Pinterest😉
4. Just have fun. The main point is that you have fun on this day and don’t sit around sulking. Even if that means completely ignoring that fact that it is valentines Day (warning: this will entail no social media to avoid the countless romantic pictures and updates).
Now if you ARE in a relationship (YAY WHOOO HOOOOOOOO =D ) there are some things that YOU might want to keep in mind for Valentines Day.
1. Keep your expectations low! I feel like since it is the one day that we have a holiday celebrating love then everyone has REALLY high expectations for their boyfriends/fiances/husbands. Because expectancies are often really high for Valentines Day, people get really disappointed when things do not go as planned.
Us girls like to plan everything out in our heads but we don’t give the other person a script to follow and BOOM just like that we get disappointed. Well avoid that and have NO expectations for how things will go and then no matter what you will not be disappointed =)
2. Be thankful. Make sure to let your loved one know how special they are to you. No matter what they do for you, whether it is getting you a card or taking you out to a fancy dinner, let them know how much you love it. Don’t be that person who takes things for granted, be happy that you have someone who loves you.
3. Do something for them! Do something thoughtful as a gift to your loved one. Cards, roses, and chocolates are ALWAYS a good idea, but try and think a little bit out of the box.
Maybe I am crazy, but I would rather have a gift that had a lot of thought put into it than an expensive box of candy. What are some shared experiences, inside jokes, silly things they love? Maybe make a scrapbook or a collage or something. Instead of buying a card from the store make one yourself! Things like that last a lifetime and are very romantic.
So now single or not, go enjoy this Valentines Day and be thankful for those who love you!